The government has introduced a new system to allow taxpayers to update email and mobile number in the GST System. This was introduced as many have complained that “the intermediaries who were authorized by them to apply for registration on their behalf had used their own email and mobile number during the process”, the Finance Ministry said in a press release today.
The email and mobile number can be updated by the concerned Jurisdictional tax authority of the taxpayer as per the following procedure:
- The taxpayer is required to approach the concerned jurisdictional Tax Officer to get the password for the GSTIN allotted to the business.
- Jurisdiction can be checked through Search Taxpayer option available on https://www.gst.gov.in,. Allotted jurisdiction is displayed in red text
- The taxpayer would be required to provide valid documents to the tax officer as proof of his/her identity and to validate the business details related to his GSTIN.
- Tax officer will check if the said person is added as a Stakeholder or Authorized Signatory for that GSTIN in the system.
- Tax officer will upload necessary proof on the GST Portal in support to authenticate the activity.
- Tax officer will enter the new email address and mobile phone number provided by the Taxpayer.
- After upload of the document, Tax officer will reset the password for the GSTIN in the system.
- Username and Temporary password reset will be communicated to the email address as entered by the Tax Officer.
- The taxpayer needs to login on GST Portal https://www.gst.gov.in/ using the First time login link.
- After first time login with the Username and Temporary password that was emailed to him, system would prompt the taxpayer to change username and password. The said username and password can now be used by the taxpayer.
Source: The Economic Times